Kimball Pier, Ph.D, LMFT – Founder of Sierra Agape
I am a depth psychologist strongly committed to the notion that psychology and its practices have been too strongly paired with Western medicine. While Western medicine has its miracles for which I am deeply grateful, I have seen that too many children and adults are given medications for depression or other “dis-ease” often rooted in trauma, before discovering what caused the symptoms. I make it my practice to help my clients learn awareness of all that contributes to their states of mind and body, and then to teach skills and practices that create freedom from symptoms. My belief is that many conditions or states of mind are categorized as “mental illness,” when they could be more accurately described as adaptive responses,often to trauma. I am mindful of how imbalances in our relationship with Nature, and imbalances within our culture impact our sense of peace and safety in the world.
When I think about it, most of my own suffering and despair has been rooted in old judgments and old stories I have had about myself. During the years of my own self-study, and work as a depth psychotherapist, I have found this to be true for most of my clients. Once we tap into the awareness of how old stories and judgments from history and cultural norms have influenced our self-concept, we can begin to re-shape ourselves in ways that serve our lives. We can learn to let go of attachments, thoughts and beliefs that create our suffering. We free up space to tune into the voice of the heart and trust its calling to bring us back into connection with our true nature. The art of psychology or studying soul is what can bring us peace and connection with ourselves and one another.
B.A. University of Washington, Seattle – Psychology and Women Studies, 1995
M.S. Seattle Pacific University, Seattle – Marriage & Family Therapy, 1997
Advanced Divorce Mediation Training-Pepperdine University School of Law-1999
Ph.D – Pacifica Graduate Institute-Carpinteria, CA, 2013
SEP – Somatic Experiencing Practitioner – June 2018
- 24 years of experience providing individual, couples, and family therapy with an emphasis on trauma healing through the body (Somatic Experiencing) which includes mindfulness/meditation practice, and teaching sustainable skills for maintaining overall wellness,
- 6 years as a Special Master/ Parenting Coordinator for cases referred by Placer County Courts, or upon private request, for parents who struggle with high-conflict communication.
- 22 years of divorce and family mediation either private or court referred
- Qualified and trained to provide court ordered or private FL-3110/FL-3111 custody evaluations,
- Development and implementation of co-parenting programs and classes,
- Referrals to meditation/mindfulness training offered on a donation or sliding fee basis to clients who are uninsured or underinsured as an adjunct to therapy
- Working as a part of a collaborative of agencies in the region to provide a range of wellness and community services, and assistance with court-related procedures and documents
To schedule a consultation or to schedule psychotherapy sessions, please click on the appointment tab on this website or call 530-414-1885
As of November, 2015, we are so fortunate to have Dr. Jocelyn Kriess, a Board Certified Psychiatrist, working with us at Sierra Agape Therapeutic Services. She is now accepting new adult patients in her integrative psychiatry practice in Truckee. “I’m excited to bring together both traditional and non-traditional treatment strategies to help improve mental health outcomes. Integrative psychiatry focuses on wellness in the whole person, emphasizing the strengths and abilities in each individual in coping more skillfully with life stressors. I believe in the importance of western psychiatry, including medication management when needed. However, I strive to minimize the use of medications by offering alternative and adjunctive treatments including nutritional based therapies, functional medicine testing, and mindfulness training. In addition, I am a medical acupuncturist, which I use in my practice to help clients manage depression, anxiety, and insomnia. To be most effective, I believe my role as a physician is to build a trusting relationship that puts my patient at the center of all treatment decisions.”
Dr. Kriess’ medical school education and psychiatry residency were completed at Brown University and she has recently moved to Truckee with her husband, also a physician who practices at Renown Medical Center in the field of neurology, and their two children (and a new Labrador puppy). We are so grateful for all the innovative skills she brings to the practice of psychiatry.
Please contact Dr. Kreiss at 530-421-8288 – Email: email@example.com
Meditation Trainer, Certified Massage Therapist
Jon L. Weedn, CMT has been a resident of the North Lake Tahoe Truckee area since 1973. His career working in the hospitality industry, culminated in management of River Ranch Lodge for over 30 years. By the time he left that position in 2007, he’d gained a wealth of experience in how to listen effectively and use words wisely to motivate and teach employees. In 2000, Jon decided it was time for a change. Although he’d always been an athlete with a love for the outdoors, he was woven into a culture of substance abuse and odd hours which began to takes its toll. He began to explore the quieter life of going inward to discover peace within and living life according to the path of the heart. He began by learning the art and science of meditation and yoga. As he learned more, he felt called to do what he had always done – inspire others in ways that increased a sense of community and well-being. His professional development has included meditation teacher training at Ananda’s Expanding Light in Grass Valley, Spiritual Tools training and yoga instructor training at Yandara Yoga institute in Mexico. Jon completed additional yoga teacher training at Deep Yoga School of Healing Arts in San Diego in July of 2011. In the spring of 2012, Jon complete massage therapy training at the Healing Arts Insitute in Citrus heights, CA. His continuing education in body work includes specialty courses in deep tissue work and emphasis in understanding the neurochemistry of the mind-body connection
Jon was a coach for the Mitey Mite program at Squaw Valley from 1991 -2014, which has also honed his skills for teaching effectively, compassionately and creatively. Jon’s focus and attention rooted in a deep love for learning about people and making lasting connections
- Meditation Group – Jon facilitates a Monday night meditation group at For Goodness Sake in Truckee which has grown in popularity since its beginning five years ago. Monday night groups begin at 6:30 and offer brief teachings on mindfulness and finding a sense of peace through quieting the mind followed by a 30 minute guided meditation practice. Anyone can participate regardless of experience. Groups are free to all participants, however donations are welcome and appreciated.
- Individual Meditation Training-Jon offers individual meditation training for clients to learn a practice that fits them. . This service is offered on a donation basis with a $30.00 minimum suggested donation per session. For appointments, please call 530-318-6149.
- Bodywork– Jon offers 90 minute sessions focused on healing touch and using the breath to deepen into the experience of massage. Jon also has training in deep tissue massage for those who are in need of myofascial release for injury prevention and recovery. Body work is offered on a sliding fee scale.
Jon’s signature style embodies simple and effective techniques that promote awareness and create the possibility of choosing how we want to be in the world. In addition to Sierra Agape workshops and retreats, Jon teaches and facilitates meditation classes at For Goodness Sake in Truckee.
To schedule a massage appointment with Jon, go to https://www.massagebook.com/truckee~Massage~jonweedn
Or, Jon can be reached at (530) 318-6149 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org