Our Tax ID number is: 27-2964558
GENEROSITY – The Principle of “Dana” (pronounced, “Dah-Nah”) or generosity:
“The Virtue That Produces Peace”
Loving-kindness, clear-seeing, compassion, respect, open-mindedness, and a deep sense of connection with others and the earth — these are all virtues that transform our lives and and our society. But how to put them into practice? The best answer I have found is a single line in a traditional Buddhist meal chant. It is a simple and practical political formula: “Generosity is the virtue that produces peace. Generosity –the dana paramita is the first of Buddhism’s six transcendent perfections because it is the foundation of all others. Similarly, generosity is the foundation of a peaceful and compassionate society. It heals divisions, fights injustice, eases suffering, and creates bonds of love among us. On an individual level, our generosity toward others creates the empathy, understanding, and goodwill that overcome prejudice and divisiveness. One of generosity’s great strengths is that it’s so straightforward. It contains no hint of condescension or superiority. It helps people reconcile because it doesn’t require agreement, just goodwill. It fights stereotypes because a generous spirit does not get caught up in concepts. It both respects people’s differences and sees our common humanity.” – Mike McLeod, Editor of The Lion’s Roar Magazine.
How you can help others through your generosity:
With the imminent changes in the Affordable Care Act or “Obamacare,” thousands of Californians were without healthcare coverage as of January 1st, 2018. Sierra Agape’s mission has always been to make mental health care and adjunct self-care services such as body work, meditation training, and educational groups accessible to anyone regardless of ability to pay. For example, many clients need psychiatric evaluations in order to establish an accurate diagnosis and a medication regimen that is appropriate for that diagnosis. Careful medication management is essential for keeping clients safe and monitoring the effectiveness of the medications. There are no psychiatrists in the Tahoe Truckee area who accept insurance, mainly because the costs for billing, and the low reimbursement rates are such that psychiatric medical professionals are unwilling to contract with insurance companies. There is a great need for access to psychiatric evaluations and medication management here in the Truckee Tahoe area, and clients who are unable to afford the out-of pocket costs are left unserved.
Please consider making it possible for others to benefit by supportive care and opportunities to learn new ways of functioning in a healthier, heart-centered, and sustainable way with your generous tax-deductible donation. Any amount is welcome and appreciated!
Examples of what your donation can do:
Any amount is welcome and appreciated!
Client of the month: We have a young woman, age 35, who has been diagnosed with breast cancer in both breasts; invasive ductal carcinoma in one, and ductal carcinoma in situ in the other. She will need surgery followed by chemotherapy and radiation. She is in graduate school, and has been working as much as her schedule allows, but will likely be unable to work very much during her treatment, especially because she wants to continue pursuing her graduate degree in teaching special education. She has no family support, and is in need of financial support to help with housing and food. If you would like to help her, you may indicate so when you make your donation, by adding a note to your PayPal payment. Her initials are C.T. We will ensure she receives the funds.
- Your donation of $500.00 underwrites the cost for five sessions of individual or family therapy. The out of pocket cost for therapy is typically $140-$200 per hour. Some therapists offer a sliding fee scale, however, many people are unable even to afford the reduced fees.
- Your donation of $75 underwrites the cost for someone to receive a one-hour session of bodywork.
- Your donation of $400 underwrites the cost for parents to receive two hours of parenting plan mediation including assistance with legal documents, and guidance on the court’s filing requirements.
- Your donation of $1,000 underwrites the cost of ten one-hour sessions of individual or family therapy.
- Your donation of $500 underwrites the cost of a 90-minute comprehensive psychiatric evaluation with a licensed psychiatrist, and one follow-up appointment.
- Your donation in any amount can help clients who need our services, or who are ill and unable to work to pay rent or buy food.